Fishing Rio Vista again… and another blank!


Possibly this season’s last sturgeon trip…

May 12, 2011

Sometimes I’m tempted to just forget about blogging my fishing adventures, but skunks are as much a part of fishing as bragging about the big catch!

I headed for Rio Vista, CA once again, the boat in tow and me full of hope and good cheer. Wind would be an issue this trip, and when I launched it was pretty breezy. It never got much better.

I anchored just below Rio Vista near Light 25. This area is a bit more protected than is the open river off Decker Island. Even so, it can be choppy and even uncomfortable.

Fishing in a choppy river with the drogue pulling hard to keep the boat stable. That’s Light 25 in the distance.

I tossed steaks from a new eel into the river about 1015, and sat back to await the visit of a hungry sturgeon. And I waited, and waited, and waited some more.

The river was a bit choppy, and the wind was steady at probably a 15 MPH average with gusts to 20 MPH and a very brief period of calm that lasted about a half hour. When the wind blows the boat to and fro, round and round, the solution is to toss out a drogue, an underwater parachute device, that pulls the boat straight into the current. And I had a drogue deployed nearly all day.


Close up of the drogue at work in the current. 

I enjoyed the sunny, warm day; even the breeze was welcome for its cooling effect. But the fish weren’t buying what I was trying to sell. Maybe it was the new eel – it was a strange one. It was big and bloody and I figured it was as good as I’d seen. But after a half hour at the river bottom, the steaks were completely washed out, gray chunks of nothingness that didn’t even seem to have an odor. I used plenty of stinkum, the smelly, oily attractant I often inject into eel. Stinkum was about the only odor the eel had.

This is the debris after about 15 minutes of fishing. It was not pleasant having to reel in so often to clean the debris from the leader, but otherwise the bait floats off the bottom.

The river debris was another issue. It’s still very thick in the river, making fishing a bit more frustrating than it should have to be. I reeled in every 15 minutes to half-hour just to remove it so the bait would stay on the bottom – where the sturgeon should have been!

I stayed faithful to the cause for six hours, then decided it was too windy and too choppy to spend the whole night and another day. I reeled in, stowed the gear and headed upriver to the ramp and home.

Next week I may try one last time this season – if I find inviting weather conditions, meaning light winds. But it’s getting to be that time 0f year that I begrudgingly give up my beloved Delta to the “water bugs”, as I call jet-skiers, water boarders, etc. And also because it is windy virtually every day on the Delta during the summer. So… next week may be the final Delta adventure of the season, or it may be my first kokanee trip of the summer! Check back soon…

About FishWisher

Over the years I have posted many exciting fishing and boating stories here, but now in my seventies, it was time to sell the boat and find less demanding pastimes. All the fishing stories are still here! I will now post my travels aboard the motorhome and other activities. I hope y'all will still enjoy the fishing and boating adventures and perhaps peek in on my post-boating activities on occasion. Thanks for dropping in and I hope you enjoy your visit.
This entry was posted in Fishing Sturgeon. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s